Biking Around Australia

Between February 2002 and March 2003 I circumnavigated 12,504 miles around the Australian continent on my bicycle, or push bike as they say there. After that I went to New Zealand for three months and met up with a friend and ended up pushing the total mileage to 14,115.7 miles (22717.02 km). I spent 269 days on my bike, 272 days not on my bike, and getting 67 flat tires over those 17 months.

This is the route I took around Australia. Every few days I would update this YHA map with a marker and the route I more or less made up as I went along.

I started and ended my 13 month lap around Australia at Luna Park in St. Kilda/Melbourne.. The distance around Australia (including Tasmania) ended up being about 20,281km (12,600 miles).

February 12th, 2002 - 3:50pm
March 12th, 2003 - 3:12pm
I carried a 15 pound IBM Thinkpad 600E with five batteries over the course of the entire trip in order to keep this website updated on a weekly basis so people back home could follow me on my travels. I had a system setup where I'd back the photos up to CDs and mail them home every few weeks. To update the site, I primarily did it with 3.5 inch floppy disks. There are 542 daily journal entries on here. I redid the website in 2020 so it would show up on phones and such ok. I took 36,304 photos over the 17 months and 12321 of them ended up here on this website. As for the words, there are 119527 of them for you to read. I didn't start active journaling until a couple months into the journey. I've noted where I've added journal entries way after the fact based on recollections or notes I had from the time. Some people have actually read the the entire site and have seen every picture. Some entries were written the same day, others were not. Some entires are a thought-provoking and a wholly entertaining read, others are downright boring.
Lunky.com website 2001-2020

The MS Paint image I updated every few days
Also during the journey I carried a cardboard "clock" for this website I had started a year earlier called The Human Clock. Here it is on the Queensland/Northern Territory border
The Human Clock website was pretty popular then and it plus my bike trip got a quick blurb in the Sunday Times of London in September of 2002

One fun thing I did during my trip was to visit six "confluences", which is where a whole-numbered latitude/longitude mark intersects for The Degree Confluence Project.

This was also back when the GPS looked nice
Standing at 18°S 142°E
Thanks for reading!
February 23rd, 2003
South Australian of Arno Bay to w of Port Augusta
204.14 km today
18621.42 km total
126.6 mi today
11545 mi total

whew, what a day. Actually biked a 204km day today!

Although I wanted to get up early to try and do a 200km day, I ended up and about at the normal time. Had a large horde of ants and flies join me for breakfast. Wasn't feeling excited or down...just kind of getting ready for another days ride.

Took a longer route into Cowell via a dirt road. This was a nice change from the highway. It passed though a tiny fishing village of Port Gibbon. This place was a bit unique in that they had a big sign saying "free camping" and there was a public water tap there Obviously there are no caravan parks nearby. Cavan parks hate free camping areas for obvious reasons.

Went to ethe bakery in Cowell and headed off. Some jerkwad teenagers passed me, then I saw them closing their car door. I kinda get tired how everyone tells me to look out for road trains...the road train drivers are the best out there, it is just these young (and male) drivers you have to watch out for. Anyway I was having a hard time getting motivated...was riding slower than yesterday for one. At about 70km I stopped for awhile to read and try and take a nap. I figured Raelene would be driving by at any time...sure enough, about five minutes later she pulled up. We talked awhile and she gave me yummy chocolate.

By this point it was 3pm in the afternoon and I hadn't even gone 75km, so it looked like the 200km day wasn't going to happen. The sun ended up coming out and the road started going downhill. One of the reasons I had been going slow was because the road was steadily climbing to about 225m. I had Nirvana on and that got the body a-working. After about the 110km mark I decided I'd just go for it...knowing I'd have to ride for a couple hours in the dark. I stopped at a nameless fast food place in Whyalla and got some dinner. The kid working the drive-thru window sneezed all over the open till, it was a bit amusing.

Triple-J was playing a lot of interesting stuff on the radio...I wish we had something like this statoin in the US. I rode rode rode though the night. During the course of this part of the ride, there were probalby only about six cars going my direction. This was nice because I hardly had to get off the road.

I passed the 200km mark and looked for a place to camp. Ended up finding a spot between some train tracks and five HUGE water tanks. (oh, and a creaky water-windmill to boot). The water tanks are of course covered in grafitti, so I should have some good pics tomorrow.

I'm kinda diszzy and spacey right now, so I gotta get to bed, wonder what time I'll wake up.

February 23rd, 2003